Monday 3 March 2008

Cowpe Lowe at Night.... is a very scary place!

A depression over Britain coupled with a high pressure system over Greenland, has brought in bouts of wintry weather dumping lots of snow and ice on the previously well thawed Lakes, leaving them a bit too unpredictable for fell running. So instead of resting in preparation for Thursday and Friday running in Great Langdale, I decided to brave the dark and treat myself to a run up Cowpe Lowe.

As such I learnt a few scary things, and reminded myself of others:
  • Hills of a modest 440m can be scary at night when solo.
  • Sheep can be scary at night, as their eyes glow luminous green.
  • Head torches are not too good in mist, often well adjusted eyes are better.
Also despite the wild puma rumoured to be on the loose, regrettably I didn't come across the cat or any of the rumoured 5inch paw prints in the snow. After being blinded by the light reflecting in the mist, it was of no surprise when I nearly ran into the concrete trig point. Very exhilarating, something to try at least once.

The trig (apologies for the low quality of my phone pics):


NOTE: It's probably a good idea to be uber familiar with the route before attempting it at night.

No comments: